WMSAR is recruiting for careful drivers to help the team deploy its vehicles and boat trailers during rescue operations. WMSAR is a wholly voluntary charity.
This is NOT a blue-light driving role – WMSAR has no exemption from road-traffic laws.
Our team drivers are on-call to collect our vehicles and trailers from 2 locations:
- Transit Vans
- 4×4 and Boat Trailer
- Boat Trailer
And then help our rescue-team members with logistics and support whilst a search is ongoing.
Candidates will be:
- Over 25 (insurance requirement)
- Licensed with B+E entitlement (to tow trailers)
- Able to pass a Disclosure & Barring Service check (formerly CRB check)
- Confident driving with a trailer, including reversing
- Able to hitch a trailer unaided
- Resident within 20 minutes’ drive of either depot
- Available to respond to most* callouts, 24/7
- Able to use a smartphone, and have an internet connection at home
- Able to spend time supporting the team at callouts, which may run in to several hours
- Able to perform basic vehicle safety checks and maintenance (oil, tyres, lights, coolant)
- Willing to pay for their own fuel between home and the depot (team vehicle fuel will be paid by the charity)
WMSAR will provide relevant training in communications, navigation and other areas.
If you are interested in the role, and would like to know more, please complete this short form and we will respond as soon as practical.
*We ask that Drivers try to make themselves available for 50% of callouts.